- Compliments and Concerns
Compliments and Concerns
Compliment or Concern About a Police Department Employee
The Highland Heights Police Department strives to provide quality of service to the community. Each day we work to demonstrate our commitment to fair and impartial law enforcement that respects individual dignity and rights. It our policy to receive and investigate any complaints related to Police services or enforcement by citizens. We are committed to solving any problem that would disrupt trust between the Police and the people we serve and this is the foundation of our success.
We welcome your comments or concerns regarding Police services. When a member of our Department provides outstanding service, we want to hear from you. And when despite our best efforts, we fall short of our goals, we want to know that too.
We are always grateful to hear stories about the good work of the Highland Heights Police Department. We especially appreciate hearing those stories directly from you. If you want to share a story or just say thanks, feel free to email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or send a note to the Police Department (5827 Highland Road, Highland Heights 44143).
Concerns / Complaints
If we fall short of our goals, we want to know about it so we can evaluate ourselves and our work, and improve the services we provide to the community. Throughout the year, members of the Police Department handle a variety of calls and have numerous contacts with the public. In some cases, individuals may feel that a member of the Police Department has treated them in a less than professional manner. If a person feels this has occurred, they can come to the Police Department and ask to speak to the Sergeant or Supervisor on duty.
The Sergeant or Supervisor on duty will attempt to resolve the problem informally or through a formal internal investigation. This decision is based on the nature of the complaint as well as the wishes of the complainant. If the complainant wishes to file a formal complaint, the Sergeant or Supervisor will assist the complainant in filling out the proper paperwork. You have our promise and commitment that your complaint will be thoroughly investigated and if necessary, corrective action taken.
To File a Confidential Complaint
- File at the Police Department (5827 Highland Rd.) or call by phone 440-442-8825.
- Complaints are filed and be forwarded to the Executive Lieutenant who will investigate the complaint or assign it to a Sergeant or Supervisor for investigation.
- Complaint investigations take approximately thirty to forty days to complete.
- You are not required to give your name; however by providing your name, you make it more likely that we can conduct the most thorough investigation possible.
- After the investigation, if the actions in your complaint are found to be criminal, the matter will be move through the legal system as it would for any citizen. If the actions were improper, but not criminal, disciplinary action will be taken.
- If you have provided us with your contact information, you will receive a letter from the Chief of Police informing you of the outcome of the investigation.