Construction Requiring Permits
Permits are required for all new commercial and residential construction including plumbing, electrical, heating, and air conditioning and related elements. Permits are also required for all interior renovations and home improvements including:
- Fences (see zoning specifications)
- Roofing and siding
- Sheds (see zoning specifications)
- When any structure is erected or enlarged
- For any business use, including a home business
Commercial and residential permit fees can be found in Chapter 1311 of the Building Code. All fee schedules are also available in the Building Department.
Applications and guidelines are available below in the Forms & Permits section, or in person at the Building Department. The fee for a general contractor is $200. Fee for a sub-contractor is $100.
Zoning maps and zoning code books are available on the Zone and Ward Map.
- Building Permit Application - Commercial (PDF)
- Building Permit Application - Residential (PDF)
- Deck Construction Guidelines (PDF)
- Notification of Foreclosure Filing (PDF)
- Sign Permit Application (PDF)
- Board of Building and Zoning Appeals Application (PDF)
- Planning and Zoning Commission - Request for Hearing (PDF)
- Right of Way Permit Application (PDF)
- Contractor Registration/Renewal Application (PDF)